Monday, February 24

Personal Values - Narrowing Down the List

I have to take the following list down from its current given number of 42 values to 20 values, then 10, and finally my top five.  It was easier for me to do in a spread sheet, to keep track of how many values I had, so I pasted an image of it here.  Let's go on an adventure!




On the first four columns, I used alphabetical order to try and eliminate some of the biases that might have shown up in the order it was written previously.  In many of my eliminations I reasoned that the trait I was eliminating was included in the ones I kept if people really lived according to those values.  In other cases, and this is probably do to ignorance, especially in the first elimination round I thought many of the words expressed the same idea repeatedly.  It was helpful for me to think of both the traits I value in myself and the traits that I most want my children to possess.  The problem I have with this exercise is that my top five traits might change based on the experiences of the day or week.  Though my top 20 might remain fairly constant, it is hard for me to judge beyond that.  And just because the trait didn't make my top 5 this time doesn't mean it isn't important to me. 

As a future teacher, this relates to my work in education because I think these other traits are more important for my students to gain than school success.  I hope that I will be able to foster an environment where my students feel loved and appreciated, and they value other people and want to help them and work together.  It really makes me step back and make sure that I am focusing on the things that really matter in my classroom, and in my interactions with parents and students in all situations.  That I will be able to support a parent's decision to focus on building their relationship with their son instead of getting good grades.  That I will help them feel the wonder and the love of science that I have and want them to be able to share and appreciate.  I want my students to know the good things that I value, so that though they are encouraged to do their best and do it well, school achievement is not all that matters in life and in my classroom.