Sunday, January 12

My Life: An Update

So I haven't written on this blog for so long, but I am going to start again, partially because I need it for a class, and partially because I miss writing for fun about what I think is interesting.  So here is a brief background on my life now.

I have been married for 8 months.  I met my husband, Jim, through a mutual friend in May 2012, and we started dating in June.  We were engaged on New Year's Eve 2012, and married May 3, 2013.  We went on our honeymoon to Aruba, which was so fun and interesting! Of course, we visited their cultural history museum and viewed some of the less travelled sites from an ATV. I love Jim very much, especially because of the weird conversations we can have at dinner about my classes or whatever he is interested in at the time.  He graduated in June 2013 with a bachelor's in Applied Physics, but currently works with his brother in a startup company developing a healthy meals app.  His current interest that we talk about at the table is medieval runes.

I have changed my life plans in the past two years.  Instead of going to physical therapy school, I put aside my fears about becoming a teacher and have been accepted to a teaching certificate program so I can teach secondary science, specifically biology.  Really, teaching has been what I have wanted to do my whole life, since I was a little girl, but during high school I let doubts about the rightness of that decision creep in and I planned to do something else.  I had fears about the politics of teachers and administrators getting along, fears about having to teach to the test instead of helping my students learn and explore the world around them.  I was afraid that I was wasting my intelligence by becoming a teacher, instead of a doctor or physical therapist.  Because I am smart enough to do those things, but that isn't where my passion is.  I love being a leader and working with students of all ages, until I see the lightbulb so off. It is so rewarding and challenging to teach.

So, as part of my teaching program, I am taking a class about multicultural education and the importance of recognizing differences and similarities, and how to help all of my students succeed in school and my class, by addressing their cultural needs. For this class, I will have to make specific posts, which I hope will still be interesting and informative.

Thanks for reading, even though I am convinced I get more out of this from writing.

With Love.